Thursday, April 15, 2010

Coptic Cairo: St. George's Church or Mari Girgis

After the Hanging Church we ran through the Coptic Museum (literally ran). Cameras weren't allowed inside and many tears were shed when I reluctantly surrendered my third child over to the security guards. We tore through the museum which has a pretty incredible collection of Coptic art. I vaguely remember spending about 20 minutes talking about Coptic art in my Art History 201 class at BYU. Not nearly as much time as it deserves. If only the museum had had more images of St. George slaying the dragon, which brings me to...

St. George's Church, the only church Booker showed any interest in thanks to...

DRAGONS!
Photobucket

And WEAPONS for slaying dragons.
Photobucket

This is what Booker does when I tell him to slay a dragon...
Photobucket

"Gooker, ook horsey!" (Booker, look horsey!)
Photobucket

The food St. George ate for strength when battling dragons...
Photobucket

Not sure why, but St. George's is a Greek Orthodox Church, not Coptic.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: